Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Eve

So, for anyone we talked to around Christmas, you know this was not our gold standard for how a Christmas eve would turn out. We always have to missionaries over for Christmas eve, have dinner and read the Christmas story from the bible while the kids use the nativities to act it out. We this year, things did not go quite as planned... So, the Elders show up as expected, and as usual, my kids were going crazy, because that's what they do when the Elders come. They get so excited and want to play with the Elders. Well, Larry & I were finishing getting the ham and stuff ready, and had gone out more than once to tell the kids to calm down before someone got hurt. We had just hauled the ham and everything to the table and I told everyone in the front room to come sit down. I turned around to get Asher's drink filled up, and all we hear from the front room is a deafening thud, and then silence. Of course, Larry & I run over, and there is Kaleb, out cold on the front room floor with everyone just staring down at him. Larry & I were kneeling next to him trying to get him to respond and nothing. His poor little body was twitching and jerking like in a mild seizure, and other than that, nothing. I can't even tell you how terrified I was. When he finally responded at all, all he would do was grunt, and after a few minutes of that, with this blank, glazed look on his face, he said his head hurt. So after a few minutes of deliberation of what to do in this situation, we called the neighbors. Our friend Josh came over so the Elders could stay and eat dinner and not have to spend Christmas eve in their apartment, and Larry took Kaleb to the emergency room. About 9:45 that night, Kaleb and Larry returned home. Thankfully, after whatever neurological test they did and his exam, the doctors decided he would be okay. He just had to take it easy and we had to keep a close eye on him for the next day. I have to think that the very heartfelt prayer at dinner from one of our wonderful Elders on Kaleb's behalf may have had some impact on this outcome. He left the house with a totally dazed look on his face, wobbling around as he tried to walk, and returned home a little subdued, but other than that fairly normal. I have to say, this night made me realize how quickly something could happen, and how easily someone you love could just not be there anymore. I am so grateful for my family and their good health, and I'm grateful to the Lord for blessing me with them!

No comments: