Monday, July 05, 2010

Rolling Ridge Ranch




The day after the Fourth of July, Julie talked us into going with them to Rolling Ridge Ranch. I protested at first because it wasn't cheap and I wasn't sure I wanted to pay the money, but it was a lot of fun and I'm glad we went. It is a zoo/animal park type thing owned by the Amish out in the middle of nowhere Ohio. It was an absolutely beautiful drive, and reminded me of why I sometimes consider staying out here. (don't worry, we're not planning on it) Anyway, you get into this wagon that is pulled by a team of oxen, and they give everyone a bucket of food. Then you start rolling along and wind up feeding animals you never thought you would get that close to. Yes, that is a water buffalo, and yes, that is a regular buffalo. Aaron thought it was pretty funny to put his food bucket down by my flip-flop clad foot and get the thing to lick my toes. It was pretty funny... it's always exciting at the Kalke house. We fed long horns and emus, zonkeys (yes, that's a real thing, it's a cross between a donkey and a zebra) and all sorts of animals I don't remember the names of. They had a petting zoo with lots of baby animals for the kids to hold and pet after we got off the wagon. The kids absolutely loved it! We all had so much fun and I'm really glad we went!! Thanks for the peer pressure Julie!

No comments: